Applying to Y Combinator
All I can say is just do it, if you are thinking about it, it is worth trying to get in. Apply ASAP, don’t delay it.
There are no guarantees but heck it is worth it you never know.
Y Combinator is more open then you think if they see a great team.
Most important things to show on your applicaiton:
- You can build stuff fast.
- Make sure there are two of you at least (founders). Make sure that you have been working or have been friends for years and you won’t just walk away from something that will take time to build. Startups can be stressful, show that your team can handle the stress of it.
- Make sure you put a video attachment, it will help.
- Have one person be the presenter during your fast pitch if you make it there in person.
- Grill, that is ask yourself’s questions the night before being interviewed, think about questions you think you won’t answer well, it helped us, the founders of Drchrono more then we thought it would. It is fast interview preparation that keeps you sharp for this kind of fast interviewing.
- Find one or more former founders from YC to talk too. We found two, one of them was the founder of Reddit, Alexis. We also found another founder who really helps us understand the process the day before our in person interview. Insight into the fast questions you will get will help you think fast on your feet.
Talk about something you have done amazing in the company or in your life that really stands out.